Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fun with food: Seaweed and egg wraps.

What do you get with little money, few food options, few cooking utensils, a large appetite, and a bit of creativity? Possibly some scrumptious food.

I rarely do very personal posts, but here's a fun food post just for the heck of it. I recently moved to the southern most city in California for a year of volunteer service with a pretty cool NGO. As a result, I'm on a tight budget and also in the process of looking for a place to live, getting resettled, collecting items, etc. Since I didn't bring more than my suitcases on this new adventure, I've had to cut a few corners in the food department. Thankfully there are a few things at my current residence.

The past several days I've been craving seaweed and kimbap (rice and good fixings wrapped in seaweed) for a take-to-work lunch meal.  I didn't have any kimbap makings, but there happened to be some small seasoned seaweed package and tuna I purchased the previous week. My mission was clear: I had to to put these food items to use and satisfy the kimbap craving senses of my tongue. I snatched them up taking the the egg and carrot along with them. Usually you would never use the small seaweed or seasoned seaweed for these wraps, but what can I say. I was fairly desperate.

So I took to the kitchen and had some fun.  Here's what my hunger and creativity came up with for my lunch the next day and for my evening meal!


The makings of my lunch for tomorrow: seasoned seaweed pieces, tuna, minute rice, carrot, and egg.
I scrambled the egg and fried it in a frying pan. I was very satisfied with the flat pancake of an egg.  

Cute little kimbap rolls for tomorrow's lunch.  Crossing my fingers this will turn out and not be too soggy.
A few more to come.  Half of them landed in my mouth before making it into the container. : (

The leftovers... 

...became my dinner.

wallah.  Egg wrap sandwich. 


After eating my little dinner, I thought of omurice. It never dawned on me how similar this is to omurice. I think I'll have to venture into the omurice recipe world on the net and come back again very soon. Although it is more of a Japanese food and name, omurice is very popular in Korea!  

Yesterday I popped into the Korean festival in LA for a few hours.  I'll be sure to post a few pics within the next 24 hours. Be sure to look out for them! Have a great day. 


No comments: